Monday, December 29, 2014

The Road Staked Out

I have decided to pass up a paid nonfiction writing gig to focus more on my fiction writing. 


Last year was a year of transition for me writing wise... I feel like I hit a wall and then didn't really know how to get around it. I struggled with sense of self, with expectations (both real and imagined, both understandable and downright nut-so), and I floundered. A lot.

I am ready to rededicate myself to writing. To the written word that is produced by me. In fiction.

I am giving myself permission to write crap. To write badly. To write stories in drafts that are silly, lame, go no where, and have no point. I am giving myself permission to start over as a fiction writer, to wipe the slate clean and let go of the few nonfiction vestiges I have been holding onto.

I am going to stop calling myself a free lace writer, an author. I am going to start calling myself a writer's apprentice. I am going to read good books written by good writers and then hone my craft. I am going to read books on writing written by writers I admire and let go of the critiques of those who's work I don't appreciate. I am not going to write book reveiws. I am not going to edit anyone elses work. I am not going to collaborate. I am going to be selfish with my free time. I am going to reattach myself to the keyboard.

I am going to write when I don't feel beset by the muse. I am going to write when I am unsure of where I am going. I am going to write for me and not think about what will happen when the writing part is over. I am going to wallow in the writing process. I am going to rediscover my fiction voice. I am going to ramble and vent and think and finally let some of the demons out of my head an back onto the page where they belong.

I want this year to be the year that I am, once again, proud of myself... maybe not proud of what I wrote exactly... but proud again that I bothered to write at all.

I am going to find myself again through the words that only I can pick and place on the page.

Consider yourself warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment